Saturday 30 November 2013

Aloo Tikki...and one of the many times I procrastinated on studying.




I really should be studying. 
This is ridiculous. Maybe my desk just doesn't have the right Feng-shui for Psychology. Or Biology. Or anything academia related really.
Ah well, since I'm being horribly unproductive there I just might be able to hammer out a post here. 
Aloo Tikki! Such a cheerful name, isn't it? Try saying it without smiling. Go on. I dare you. Can't do it? 
Told you.

I love these. I first had them when I went over to Mihir's house and his mum made them for us. She has since given me the recipe and I've started making them in Scotland. So simple, yet such a huge comfort food. They are very easy to make and even easier to eat. And everyone who has tried them, have loved them as well. One of my friend's housemates is especially enamored. She once told me that she just randomly starts thinking about them at odd hours of the night!



Aloo Tikki
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 and 1/2 Tbsp bread crumbs
- Chilli flakes
- LOTS of coriander, chopped finely (fresh, please)
- Salt
- Pepper
- Veggie oil

+ Peel the potatoes and cut them into little chunks. Boil until they're tender and a fork easily pierces one of the pieces.
+ Drain out as much water as you can then return the pot to the stove with the potatoes still in it. Stir the potatoes around a bit, you're doing this to make sure as much moisture as possible is gone.
+ Tip your potatoes into a bowl, and add everything except the veggie oil.


+ This bit is key. You're going to mash the potatoes, but you don;t want the mixture to be completely smooth. No potato ricers please. I grab the nearest wooden spoon and start stabbing at the bowl. You look a wee mental at first, but soon enough things will break down and start mixing together. Just remember, you want a mixture that will clump together, but you don't want a puree.


+ When your potato mixture is ready, start forming them into patties a heaped tablespoon at a time. Continue until all the mixture is used up.
+ Refrigerate the patties for at least an hour. Alternatively you could bung them in the freezer and fry them up later.
+ When you're ready to fry, heat up a centimeter of oil in your pan. Wait for it to heat up (I test this by dropping a coriander leaf in the oil. If it starts sizzling immediately, you're good to go) Drop the patties into the hot oil. Fry till golden brown on one side then flip and repeat.


+ Drain on paper towels, then garnish with lots more chopped coriander.


And you're done!



No comments:

Post a Comment